Friday, December 9, 2022

 Title: Murder at Black Oaks

Author: Phillip Margolin

Publisher: Minotaur Books
Publication Date: November 8, 2022

Rating: 4 out of 5

Phillip Margolin's latest legal thriller is his attempt at closed room murder mystery in the vein of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians. As a closed room murder it is a little disappointing. Only 20% of the book is in the closed room. But that mystery is devious and intriguing.

Once again the heroine is Robin Lockwood as the defense attorney hired to right a wrong and free an innocent man convicted years ago. This ties in with the opening part of the book that goes back in time to an earlier pair of crimes. The plot moves forward but with too many interweaved crimes, both from the past and the present. I counted three murders that Lockwood solves, but I prefer Margolin's books that are more focused. Nevertheless, this kept me guessing most of the way and has me eager for the next installment of the Lockwood files. 

Thank you to NetGalley for sending me an advance review copy for free;  I am leaving this honest review voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment