Friday, April 7, 2023

Book Review: Double Indemnity

Title: Double Indemnity
Author: Robert Whitlow
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: June 76 2023
Rating: 3 out of 5

I requested this ARC as it was billed as a legal thriller from a Christian author. I love courtroom thrillers and am a Christ
-follower, so it ticked all the boxes. But I found it to be slow and dull. I was expecting a trial mystery, but none of the action occurs in the courthouse. Certainly, one of the main characters is a young lawyer, but the protagonist is a young preacher. And it took way too long, in my opinion, to really take off. If I wasn't planning to write a review, I would have given up on this after the first 20%, which seemed to be background and character setting. 

Whitlow does weave Christian themes into the story, and I like how he deals with prayer and the presence of God. But there was more discussion of sermon topics than there was of murder, until close to the very end. I'll give his other books a try, but hope they are faster paced and more exciting than this.

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. I received an advanced reader copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment