Sunday, December 17, 2023

Book Review: Supercommunicators


Title: 
Supercommunicators

AuthorCharles Duhigg

Publisher: Random House Publishing

Publication Date: February 20, 2024

Rating: 4 out of 5

I am not a supercommunicator but would love to be. Duhigg, author of The Power of Habit, makes the case in his new book that we can all learn to be one, and he attempts to show us how. 

The book is based on the premise that there are three conversations (and mindsets) and four rules. The three conversations are: a) what's this really about (decision-making mindset), b) how do we feel (emotional mindset), and c) who are we (social mindset). And the four rules are: 1) pay attention to what kind of conversation is occurring; 2) share your goals, and ask what others are seeking; 3) ask about others' feelings and share your own; and 4) explore if identities are important to this discussion. Sounds simple, right?

Much of this sounds familiar. I am sure I have come across this before, in other books on communication (and that's why I rated the book a 4 and not a 5). But what I really like about this book are the numerous stories to highlight each of the rules or tools. From NRA debates to Netflix culture to NASA interviews, Duhigg takes us on a delightful journey of supercommunicators.

Another thing I like about this book are the tools he provides. Each chapter is filled with figures that provide simple tools for us to use. And then, if that is not enough, he summarizes each of the main sections with a short guide to using the ideas shared. If you didn't want to take notes in the narrative chapters, these are perfect.

Will I become a supercommunicator as a result of reading this book? Well, like all self-help books, it depends on whether I commit to adding the tools into my toolbox and putting them into practice. I sure will try. Time will tell.

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. I received an advanced reader copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment