Friday, January 12, 2024

Book Review: Ladykiller

Title: Ladykiller

Author: Katherine Wood

Publisher: Bantam

Publication Date: July 9, 2024

Rating: 5 out of 5

I was told I would love this book, so I got a copy. At first I thought it was nothing special. Oh, I liked it but it seemed to be another typical mystery: two friends from opposite social hierarchies, throw in a beautiful Greek island, and one of the women goes missing. You know what I mean. But halfway through something happened. It went from meh to YEAH! From that point on, I loved it. 

The two friends, Abby and Gia have drifted apart, particularly when Abby told Gia she wouldn't attend her wedding to Garret, the man she met 3 months earlier. Estranged,
Gia invites her brother Benny and Abby to a Swedish resort hotel to reconnect. Except she doesn't show. She has disappeared. And secrets emerge that were buried 12 years ago.

The story alternates between Abby's journey in current time and Gia's life on her beachfront estate a month or two ago. As Gia writes her new book, this narrative becomes a key to unlocking her disappearance.

Not everything or everyone is who they seem or claim. With two different references to The Talented Mr. Ripley, it becomes clear that this tale, too, is one of deception and duplicity. But who is the real hero and who is the real villain? The second half of the book is a real page-turner. Enjoy!
Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. I received an advanced reader copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment