Thursday, November 26, 2020

Book Review: Surviving Remote Work


 Title: Surviving Remote Work

Author: Sharon Koifman

Publisher: DistantJob (Self-Published)

Publication Date: November 17, 2020 

Rating: 3 out of 5

2020  has changed how we work. Many of us have had to work remotely in this pandemic year. My team and I have been working from home since March. So, when I was offered an advance copy of this book, I jumped at the chance, hoping it would improve my remote management skills. Sadly, most of this information is obvious, or we've worked it out by working remotely.

Koifman's breaks his book into a section for managers and a section for remote workers. His main points are clear: have good technology, such as computers, webcams, headsets, routers, etc; minimize distractions; focus on culture and good worker mental health. But come on, who doesn't know that. Most of us don't need this book; those that do will probably never realize they need it and won't come near it.

What made this worse for me was that the proof copy I received was full of typographical and grammatical errors and plain omissions. In many cases, it was like trying to read something a  5 year-old had written. (Maybe his child did write some of this!) That really distracted me. As much as I love working remotely, this book was not a winner for me.

Thank you to NetGalley for sending me an advance review copy for free;  I am leaving this honest review voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment