After a simple bagel dinner and an ice-breaker group quiz, Ryan and I led discussion around the following topics:
- Is it OK to lie to protect others? Is it OK to lie to evil people?
- What would we have done in Sophie's place?
- What would we have done and said if we were her parents? Or if it were our child in this situation?
- How does Sophie present a model of how believers can act in the face of evil? Or simply in the presence of unbelievers?
- What is different about this film's portrayal of a Christian than that of a typical Hollywood movie? Or even of that of a typical "Christian" movie?
The discussion was thoughtful, and everyone participated enthusiastically. I personally gleaned insight into the movie's possible "anti-American involvement in Iraq" message from Ryan's analysis. (Apparently this may have been reading more in than was intended -- see Ryan's posted comment below.) Watch for my review of this powerful movie on Tuesday. The next group screening will be The Incredibles on Saturday April 13th.
Copyright 2008, Martin Baggs